Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Day Two

So far I think I am making good progress. I have been able to toilet myself (as long as the toilet seat is up). I tried to sit in a big lazy boy type chair...bad idea. The chair was so big I had a hard time with retaining my balance. A hard wooden chair worked much better. It gave me the ability to put my feet under me or at my sides. I placed one pillow under me and one behind me. I slept less during the day today than yesterday. I was able to eat only toast for breakfast. I ate a regular lunch and dinner. The experts say that the more you walk the less scar tissue forms. I made several laps around the inside of the house at about ten minute intervals. While walking I have found it helpful to put my hands on my hips or abdomen for support. Getting in and out of bed is still tricky. I've come to approach the side of the bed and put one knee on at a time.I then walk on my knees. I then kinda free fall/lower myself with my arms down. I can then shimmy on my stomach slowly to wear I want to be then turn on my side...voila. I have found this is easier than sitting on the edge because it's hard to get your feet onto the bed alone. To get up I face the edge of the bed throw my legs over a little a sit up from my side. You then slowly inch until your feet are firmly on the ground, put the weight into your legs and knees, and stand. My grandma prepared all my meals and made my bed, etc. I would not be able to do this on my own. I still have alot of discomfort at the incision site. I feel very stiff. Have felt like belching all day but haven't been able to get it all out. No bowel activity, they say laxatives are usually necessary we'll see tomorrow. I still have to push my bladder to empty each time. Overall though I'm feeling pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment